Lake Villa home invasion nets 30-year term
By Beth Kramer email@example.com January 15, 2013 8:10PM
Updated: February 17, 2013 6:34AM
An Antioch man will spend 60 years behind bars for committing two home invasion crimes less than two weeks apart.
Miguel Rico was before Lake County Circuit Judge Daniel Shanes on Tuesday for sentencing for a Sept. 1, 2010, home invasion in Lake Villa. A jury convicted him of home invasion, aggravated kidnapping and residential burglary in October. He was acquitted of armed violence and armed robbery.
That case was tried separately from a Sept. 8, 2010, home invasion case in Antioch. Rico was sentenced last June to serve 30 years in prison for that crime.
Prosecutor Reginald Mathews said Rico will serve 30 years for the Antioch crime, followed by 30 years in prison for the Lake Villa offense, effectively putting him behind bars until he is 80 years old.
In both home invasion cases, victims were at home and had been duct-taped at gunpoint by a masked assailant who took electronics and other items.
The victims of the Lake Villa home invasion were in court Tuesday to watch the sentencing hearing. The couple, whose names are being withheld by The News-Sun to protect their identity, said they were working on putting their house back together. They still reside at the same home in the 800 block of Longwood Drive.
“In a sense, your house is different. When he’s walked in your home, it’s a hard one to get over, but we’ve gotten our justice,” one victim said.
Rico remains in custody at Lake County Jail. He is due back in court Friday for a hearing on a request the judge reconsider his sentence.