Dryer catches fire at Centre Club in Libertyville
By Anna Tarkov firstname.lastname@example.org January 22, 2013 12:38PM
Libertyville firefighters Steve Holtz (left) and Brian Bagdon carry a fan and cords responding to a dryer fire at Centre Club in Libertyville. | Thomas Delany Jr.~Sun-Times Media
Updated: February 24, 2013 6:23AM
LIBERTYVILLE — Fire crews responded this morning to a laundry room fire at the Centre Club, 200 W. Golf Road, on the grounds of Advocate Condell Medical Center campus.
Advocate Condell spokesman Josh McColough said the fire was contained to a dryer in the fitness center’s laundry room when towels inside a large, industrial dryer caught fire. Advocate Condell operates the fitness center.
McColough said the Centre Club building was evacuated and will be closed for the remainder of the day.
A female Centre Club employee was taken to the Advocate Condell emergency room as a precaution. She is listed in good condition, McColough said, and is expected to be released today.
Cause of the fire is unknown at this time. McColough noted that the dryers run on extremely high heat. No damage estimate was available.
McColough said fire, police and ambulances being dispatched is indicative of general safety procedures that were followed.
“If there’s visible smoke, you want first responders to be there as soon as possible just in case,” he said.
Fire crews were still on scene at 12:30 p.m., investigating the incident.