Burning mattress sparks Waukegan apartment fire
NEWS-SUN STAFF REPORT February 25, 2013 10:28PM
Updated: April 27, 2013 2:27AM
WAUKEGAN — A 6-year-old child has admitted to playing with matches that started an apartment fire Saturday, Waukegan Fire Department Battalion Chief Dan Wright said.
City fire crews responded to a call for a structure fire about noon Saturday at the Whispering Oaks complex, 2431 Dugdale Road.
A mattress inside a first-floor apartment had caught fire, Wright said. The fire was contained to one apartment.
There was not a lot of fire damage, but the family that resided there was displaced due to smoke, Wright said. There were no injuries.
Investigators determined the 6-year-old child who admitted to playing with matches was the cause of the fire, Wright said.