Weather Updates

Girl felled by carbon monoxide improving

Updated: April 28, 2013 2:20AM

ANTIOCH — The 12-year-old girl overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning Monday is still recovering while the 9-1-1 dispatch call reveals that the situation was even more dire than first thought.

The girl is currently being monitored at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge after undergoing treatment in a hyperbaric chamber to treat carbon monoxide poisoning.

Brian DeKind, chief of the Antioch Rescue Squad, said Tuesday the 9-1-1 call started out as a routine medical call early Monday morning.

Paramedics from the squad rushed out to find a critical situation on their hands.

After realizing the severity of the call, Capt. Joe Sparks of the Antioch Rescue Squad activated a life-safety box which brought a larger response to the scene. Crews found four individuals unconscious throughout the home, along with the family dog, after kicking in the door.

After trying to recruit nearby helicopters to the scene, the squad decided to ground transport the family to nearby hospitals. The family’s dog was treated at the Antioch Animal Hospital.

The 9-1-1 dispatch recording shows the boyfriend of a 22-year-old woman inside the home 1172 Bowles Road went to the house because his girlfriend called him to say she was in the bathroom vomiting and she could not wake up her parents.

She wanted him to come over and wake them up.

But when the young man arrived, no one would answer the door. He walked around to a window and saw his girlfriend’s father laying on the floor apparently unconscious and he called 9-1-1.

“It was perfect timing,” DeKind said. “If the boyfriend wasn’t there to call 9-1-1, the outcome would have been much worse. We worked together to get the family out of the house as quickly as possible.”

The home did not have any carbon monoxide detectors, which is a law in Illinois.

The Lake County News-Sun has made contact with the boyfriend’s family, but he did not want to be interviewed right now.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.