Gas leak snags Libertyville construction
Sun-Times Media August 28, 2013 4:24PM
A North Shore Gas crew tries to repair a gas line that was cut by concrete workers who were preparing the street in the 400 block of Sunnyside Avenue in Libertyville for new curbs and pavement just before 1 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 28, according Libertyville Fire Department Assistant Chief Michael Cloe. | Frank Abderholden/Sun-Times Media
Updated: September 30, 2013 7:44AM
One person was evacuated from a home after construction crews caused a gas leak in Libertyville Wednesday, fire officials said.
Crews were cutting concrete to prepare Sunnyside Avenue with new curbs and pavement when they struck a gas line only 8 inches underground just before 1 p.m., Libertyville Fire Department Assistant Chief Michael Cloe said.
The gas leak forced firefighters to evacuate one person and a dog from a home on the 400 block of Sunnyside. The area also was blocked off to motorists.
The smell of the gas was “pretty noticeable,” Cloe said.
The leak was controlled in about an hour, he said.
North Shore Gas crews are repairing the ruptured line.