Defense requests delay in shooting-death trial
By Jim Newton email@example.com | @JimNewton5 October 15, 2013 8:08PM
Updated: November 17, 2013 6:24AM
The trial of a Round Lake Park man charged in the videotaped shooting death of a Zion resident has been delayed for several months at the request of defense attorneys.
Jose Rebollar-Vergara, 24, is charged with first-degree murder in the death of 19-year old Gabriel Gonzalez of Zion outside a Round Lake Beach convenience store.
Although prosecutors say another defendant, Jose Garcia, 18, fatally shot Gonzalez on March 10 in the parking lot of the One Stop Food and Liquor Store, they contend that Rebollar-Vergara initiated the altercation that led to the shooting.
Defense attorney Sharmila Manak told Judge Daniel Shanes Tuesday, Oct. 15, that the defense would not realistically be ready to go to trial until March due to the need to obtain and review further potential evidence in the case.
Shanes scheduled the trial March 10.
Meanwhile, James Schwarzbach, the defense attorney for Garcia, said he is hopeful that Garcia will go to trial at the currently set trial date of Oct. 28.
The shooting, believed to have started after Rebollar-Vergara initiated an argument with Gonzalez in the belief that he had been in a prior gang-related fight with him, was recorded by the store’s parking lot surveillance camera.