Weather Updates

Sentencing postponed for man convicted of brutal stabbing death

Derrick C. Taylor

Derrick C. Taylor

storyidforme: 59131307
tmspicid: 10146890
fileheaderid: 4677006

Updated: January 14, 2014 12:08PM

The sentencing of Derrick Taylor, convicted last month of first-degree murder in the brutal beating and slashing death of Joy Lee, a mother of two from Bristol, Wis., has been postponed until next year.

Taylor’s sentencing had been scheduled for Tuesday afternoon, but has been postponed, in part due to a pending defense motion, according to officials. A status hearing on that motion is scheduled for Jan. 9.

Attempts to reach defense attorney Louis Pissios on Wednesday for information on the motion were unsuccessful.

Lee was murdered on the evening of March 11, 2012, on a street in Trumpet Industrial Park in Zion.

Taylor, 40, was convicted on all three counts of first-degree murder lodged against him — that he meant to kill or cause great bodily harm to Lee, that he knew his actions could cause her death and that he knew his actions could result in great bodily harm or death.

The jury convicted him about three hours after Taylor, in a surprise move, took the stand and admitted he had been at the scene of the murder that night, but said he touched Lee, realized she was dead and fled because he was scared.

Until then, he had maintained he had not been at the murder site.

Testimony at the trial from a DNA expert who said Lee’s blood was found on the steering wheel of Taylor’s car preceded Taylor’s decision to take the stand.

Taylor faces a sentencing range of of 20 to 60 years in prison.

Prosecutors said Lee was in an abusive relationship with Taylor, and that she provided him with prescription medicine to sell to a third party for profit. She also provided him with sex, and he set her up with prostitution work in North Chicago, according to texts obtained by the prosecution from the phones of Taylor and Lee.

Taylor sent text messages asking Lee to meet him the evening of March 11, 2012, when officials said he beat her on a quiet stretch of Trumpet Drive and then used a sharp object to slash her so severely that her head was almost severed.

He was arrested the morning after the murder at his home in Beach Park.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.