Weather Updates

Attempted murder charges dismissed in plea deal

Kendrick Augillard

Kendrick Augillard

storyidforme: 60930945
tmspicid: 14259066
fileheaderid: 6529835

Updated: February 23, 2014 6:22AM

A Zion man will serve 24 to 48 years in prison after agreeing to a plea deal for forcing his way into a Gurnee home and shooting through the door of a bathroom where a woman and two children were hiding.

Kendrick Augillard, 36, had pleaded not guilty to felony charges of attempted murder, home invasion, aggravated discharge of a weapon, residential burglary and aggravated cruelty to an animal stemming from the Oct. 19, 2012, incident.

Assistant State’s Attorney Jim Newman said Tuesday that under the agreement, Augillard pleaded guilty to one count of home invasion and one count of aggravated cruelty to an animal and will face between 24 to 48 years in prison at a sentencing hearing scheduled for April 10.

In return for those guilty pleas, the attempted murder charges against Augillard were dismissed Friday afternoon.

Augillard is being held without bond in the Lake County Jail until his sentencing. His case had been scheduled to go to trial this week.

Prior to the shooting incident, Augillard had been charged with disorderly conduct for allegedly threatening to burn down his ex-girlfriend’s Gurnee home and coming to her place of employment Oct. 4.

The former girlfriend had been granted an emergency order of protection against Augillard on Oct. 5, according to court records.

Less than a week before that order of protection was due to expire, Augillard showed up at her front door with a firearm in hand, police said. The woman was not home, but her sister-in-law and her two children, ages 6 and 10, were in the house.

Augillard broke down the door of the house, at which point the family dog bared its teeth at him. Augillard then shot the dog, according to Gurnee police.

The woman and her two children were able to hide in the bathroom. Several bullet holes were found in the bathroom door.

Augillard remained in a standoff with police for about three hours before he surrendered. The sister-in-law and her children were evacuated without injury, and the dog survived its gunshot wound.

Augillard had faced 26 to 50 years in prison for the attempted first-degree murder charge; four to 15 years in prison for the residential burglary and aggravated discharge of a firearm charges; and one to three years in prison for the aggravated cruelty to an animal charge.

© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit To order a reprint of this article, click here.