newssun
SUITABLE 
Weather Updates

Three-alarm blaze destroys Wadsworth home

A Wadsworth family was displaced after three-alarm fire Thursday afternoon.  | Mark Ukena/For Sun-Times Media

A Wadsworth family was displaced after a three-alarm fire Thursday afternoon. | Mark Ukena/For Sun-Times Media

storyidforme: 61073988
tmspicid: 22107846
fileheaderid: 10481741
Article Extras
Story Image

Updated: February 26, 2014 6:10AM



A Wadsworth family was displaced after a three-alarm fire Thursday afternoon left their home uninhabitable.

The multiple-alarm fire started in the attic of the home in the 38500 block of North Arbor Court about 3:20 p.m., Newport Township Fire Protection District Lt. Dave Emanuelson said.

Because there were no smoke detectors in the attic, the fire was burning strong by the time one of the home’s residents noticed and contacted authorities, Emanuelson said. The flames were through the roof by the time crews arrived at the scene.

The fire appears to have started in the attic as a result of a fire in the fireplace, according to Emanuelson.

The two-story, 3,600-square-foot house is located at the end of a dead-end road in a subdivision without fire hydrants, so about 150,000 gallons of water were trucked in and about 1,600 feet of supply line had to be brought in to battle the blaze, Emanuelson said.

The fire was extinguished about 7 p.m., but two crews remained at the scene working on a few hot spots as of about 9:45 p.m.

Emanuelson said the house was practically burned to the ground and completely uninhabitable. Some of the structure remained standing Thursday night, but he said it would have to be knocked down.

The family that lived in the house was displaced as a result of the fire, although Emanuelson could not immediately provide an exact number of people who were left homeless Thursday night. He said the American Red Cross had been called to help them find shelter.

No injuries were reported after the blaze.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.