Frank H. Just launches the weekly Independent in Libertyville and buys the Waukegan Daily Sun in 1906.He edited both papers and in 1911 changed the papers' names to The Lake County Independent and Waukegan Weekly Sun. He sold the Sun that year, and in 1916 launched a new paper, the Lake County Register, to compete with the Sun. He started the Waukegan Daily News in 1921 and continued building both enterprises and gaining in circulation.
Heated competition forced the Sun's owners to sell it in 1929 to a group of Chicago investors with reported links to organized crime, but the stock market crash that year left the investors without the money to meet their loan commitments. Just - a Republican crusader against organized gambling - grabbed the opportunity and purchased The Daily Sun in 1930. He merged the papers to create The Waukegan News-Sun. The paper stayed in the Just family until 1984, when The Copley Press added it to its roster of 11 daily papers.
Copley Press sold its Fox Valley Press Inc. division to Hollinger International in 2000, which is now Sun-Times Media.