Chihuahua’s owner fends off Antioch coyote attack
BY DAN MORAN email@example.com November 1, 2012 7:24PM
Dawn McCarty of Antioch kisses and hugs Tucker, a 12 year old chihuahua, who was attacked by a coyote outside their back door at 5 a.m. McCarty hit the coyote with her morning News-Sun which caused the coyote to drop Tucker and run away. Thomas Delany Jr.~Sun-Times Media
Updated: January 1, 2013 1:48AM
ANTIOCH — Tucker is a senior citizen in dog years, and his diabetic condition has taken away his sight.
But the 12-year-old Chihuahua proved to be tough as nails Thursday when he survived an attack by not one, but two coyotes outside his home in the Tiffany Farms subdivision
“He is a survivor,” said Tucker’s owner, Dawn McCarty. “He’s like a cat with nine lives.”
But she added that the predawn incident happened so quickly and unexpectedly that Tucker likely would not have survived if he hadn’t been tethered.
“To see my little guy in the mouth of a coyote — it was terrifying,” McCarty said. “And I think of my neighbors who let their dogs out in the morning ... This is not a rural area. We back up to a park, and everybody thinks it’s safe.”
McCarty said she found out otherwise seconds after starting her morning routine.
“I got up about 5 o’clock, let my dog out in the back yard, hooked him to his leash and went out my front door to get my News-Sun,” she said. “All of a sudden, I hear him yelping, so I ran around to the back and there was this coyote who had him by the back leg.”
McCarty said she then made use of the only weapon in her possession.
“I took my newspaper and kind of held it out like a sword, and I shooed it away — I beat the coyote away,” she said, adding that she then saw a second coyote standing within a few feet.
“They were big — bigger than a German shepherd. They both took off when I started yelling and swinging the paper.”
According to McCarty, she has seen coyotes in her neighborhood before, including one “about two months ago that walked in front of my house in broad daylight.”
“I just want my neighbors to be aware that this happened. If he wasn’t on a leash, he would be gone,” she said. “My little guy’s foot was bleeding and he’s still seems like he’s in shock, but he’s going to be fine.”