Driver in fatal Highland Park crash allowed holiday travel
By Beth Kramer firstname.lastname@example.org December 12, 2012 6:52PM
Updated: February 11, 2013 1:59AM
A Lake County judge has temporarily lifted the 24-hour curfew for the Highland Park woman charged with reckless homicide and aggravated DUI for allegedly running over a 5-year-old girl on Labor Day.
Judge George Bridges granted Carley Rousso, 18, approval to travel to Arizona with her parents from Dec. 18 to Dec. 24 to spend time with her grandmother, according to court documents. Rousso had been placed on a 24-hour curfew after 10 percent of her $500,000 bond was posted following the accident in downtown Highland Park.
Up until the curfew modification, Rousso was only allowed to work or interview at volunteer programs, and attend therapy and AA meetings, according to a report from pretrial bond services. She was not allowed to have drugs or alcohol, is subject to random testing and is not allowed to operate or drive a motor vehicle since she was placed on bond supervision Sept. 11, the bond report said.
“The defendant has been compliant with all of the above conditions of her bond,” the report said.
Rousso has pleaded not guilty to reckless homicide and aggravated DUI charges.
Authorities said she was driving under the influence of a “huffing” agent, difluoroethane, when she reportedly ran over and killed Jaclyn Santos, 5, and injured the youngster’s mother, Modesta Santos Sacramento.
Jaclyn’s family is seeking damages in excess of $50,000 in a civil lawsuit pending against Rousso.
Rousso is due back in court Jan. 16 for a pretrial hearing.