newssun
SPARKLE 
Weather Updates

Four Mundelein residents treated for CO poisoning

Updated: January 13, 2013 6:15AM



MUNDELEIN — Countryside Fire district officials are warning about carbon monoxide after four people were sent to the hospital Sunday, treated and released.

Dispatch received a call from the 19000 block of Hoag Court around 11 a.m. saying people were not feeling well.

“We found elevated levels when we got there,” Lt. Ron Echtenacher said Monday.

Four people were transported to Advocate Condell Medical Center, Libertyville.

As it turns out, the home did have a carbon monoxide detector and it had started beeping earlier in the morning, but residents disconnected it thinking it was giving a false alarm.

“The gas is colorless and odorless, you don’t know it’s there,” he said.

In this case, it was coming from a faulty furnace. Echtenacher said it’s important to have a CO detector outside every bedroom.

“It gives you a peace of mind,” he said.



© 2014 Sun-Times Media, LLC. All rights reserved. This material may not be copied or distributed without permission. For more information about reprints and permissions, visit www.suntimesreprints.com. To order a reprint of this article, click here.