Judge rejects appeal of Antioch man’s sentence
By Beth Kramer email@example.com January 18, 2013 7:20PM
Updated: February 20, 2013 6:08AM
A Lake County judge denied a request Friday to reconsider the sentence keeping an Antioch man behind bars for 60 years.
Miguel Rico, 20, was sentenced to 30 years in prison Tuesday for home invasion and aggravated kidnapping charges for breaking into a Lake Villa home Sept. 2, 2010. Rico entered the home and was in the midst of stealing electronics and other items from the home when a 20-year-old resident returned home.
Rico pointed a gun at the 20-year-old, tied him up with duct tape and zip ties while he finished removing items from the home.
He also was convicted of a similar home invasion case in Antioch that occurred Sept. 8, 2010. Rico was previously sentenced to 30 years for the Antioch case.
Rico will have to serve 30 years of the Antioch home invasion conviction before he can start serving 30 years for the Lake Villa home invasion conviction, Circuit Judge Daniel Shanes said Friday.
“That week a few years ago was a reign of terror on those people. In a civilized society, people have a right to feel secure in their homes. You broke some of society’s biggest rules,” Shanes said.
Shanes said he found “no reason” to depart from the 30 years he imposed on Rico.
The Lake Villa couple who were victimized by Rico had said after Tuesday’s sentencing hearing that they were still trying to get over what he did to them. They also said that their son, who was the one Rico restrained, was now interested in pursuing a career in criminal justice because of the experience.
Rico is in custody at Lake County Jail awaiting transport to an Illinois Department of Corrections facility.