Immigration crackdown nets 31
Sun-Times Media November 6, 2012 7:40PM
Updated: December 8, 2012 6:35AM
CHICAGO — About 31 men, most with criminal records, were arrested over the weekend during an immigration crackdown on illegal aliens.
The men were arrested in Waukegan, Chicago, Addison, Cicero and Bolingbrook, according to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.
At least 26 of the 31 arrested had prior convictions for crimes including aggravated assault, weapons offenses, domestic battery, aggravated drunken driving, burglary and drugs, according to ICE.
About 13 were immigration fugitives who failed to leave the country when previously ordered. Most of the 13 also had criminal convictions, ICE said. About six had illegally re-entered the country after being previously removed, which is a felony.
About 22 of those arrested were from Mexico, two were from Nigeria and there was one each from Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Poland, Tajikistan, Thailand and Venezuela, ICE said.
Among those arrested was a 51-year-old Mexican national previously convicted of aggravated assault on a police officer, illegally re-entering the country after being deported, and domestic battery, ICE said. He was arrested Saturday at his Naperville home and is in ICE custody awaiting deportation.
A 64-year-old German national was arrested Sunday at his Chicago home and is also awaiting deportation, ICE said. He is an immigration fugitive with an outstanding deportation order and criminal convictions for possessing a firearm silencer and theft.
ICE “will continue to work tirelessly to improve the public safety in the Chicago area by locating, apprehending and removing at-large criminal aliens and repeat immigration violators who have blatantly disregarded the immigration laws,” Ricardo Wong, field office director for ICE in Chicago, said. “With targeted enforcement operations, we are focusing our resources on the most egregious offenders.”